Saturday, March 14, 2009

Employment has never been this odd

Consternation. I think thats the word of the day.

So, blessedly not long after posting and bemoaning unemployment, I get employed. Telemarketing sales job that pays by the hour. they pay better if you make more sales, but mostly I'm just glad to have money coming in again. it is desperately needed.

The screwy part is not the job. Its a bit odd, but in the end all I'm trying to do is arrange discounted phone service for businesses. I don't think I'm a villain for that.

Its the people. Specifically the Management.

They love me.

Thats a good thing right? Well, beyond past experience, which tells me such a thing is fleeting, I worry because I dont understand it. What I think I understand troubles me.

Warning: its convoluted. I'm trying to play a mental game with people who do it for a lot of money.

From the training, this big seller guy for the company, Darius, said i am gonna go far. He wants me to go for a promotion, like him, and make lots of money. Lets not even look at the pitfalls and mental games there, at least yet.

I don't know why he feels this way. in the past two days my sales are crap, and while that of course improves in time, I dont see what I have to offer.

Darius, Donte (The general manager I think) and Jeff (Owner?) take me into their office and chat me up. I have no idea whats going on there other than they want to tell me I'm doing ok. It might be because I was getting pretty stressed.

They invite me to go out clubbing with them tonight.

Here begins the weird.

I don't come off as a fun party companion. Good friends often "forgot" to invite me to their parties in Cedar. It sucks, its alienating, but its a fact; I dont party well. I don't club well. Just don't. I freeze up. I dont know how to play this game they all play, I'm a wreck at some parties. I wonder why it isnt easier, its a friggin leisure activity!

Why invite a nerd to go clubbing?

The owner was throwing a ton of money around tonight. Absurd amounts. Made me wonder how a business can do that in recession. Wonder what is up.

and its not like the whole call center was there. Me, management, some secretaries, couple others. This was a special thing they all said.

Why!?

My theory: They are salesmen. The owner is making an invesment. He's throwing all this money around, trying to show me an extravagant time. Two tricks there. A: He wants me to see what"Fun" I could be having if I got the promotion and all the money they claim to get. B: If I turn sour on him, quit at a time or for personal reasons he finds inconvenient, he can get wounded. Remind me what he's done for me.

Hold me hostage?

All in all, I doubt the providence of the last day or so. I'm not personally sure I want that job, and even if I did, they are selling it, really hard, in very subtle ways.

When you have to advertise a job to me, when you flash all this wonder and money and such and say "This job is awesome! why arent you doing it?" my knees start a'knockin.

I begin to feel like Tom Sawyer is selling me a chance to paint his fence.

Advice?

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I'm the first to comment! What? It's like, 4 in the morning and that amuses me. What you've told me about your boss...yeah, I'm pretty creeped out too. If they're paying you, do what you have to (within reason) to keep the job, but certainly look for something else in that 5 minute spare time you have in between your job and rehearsal.

    be very, very careful though hon, this job sounds a bit fishy, so if they are quick to offer you advances up the company ladder, or they try and promote you when you damn well know you don't deserve it, be wary. You don't want to be the one with your hand caught in the honey pot if the place goes south.

    ReplyDelete