Feeling woefully unprepared, somehow certain I’ve forgotten something, I set out with a bag of toiletries, my computer, 7 changes of clothes and a swimsuit, as well as a cooler full of food kifed from the fridge and foodstorage. Somehow I feel equipped and well loved by the simple, delicious fruits, bread, and crackers in that case. In it lie the well-wishes of my Dad and Stepmom.
I loaded the audiobook (pirated with glee) of “The Stand” on my Ipod, and piped it through the stereo as I drove. 5 hours of driving. 10 chapters. Stephen King likes the sound of his own voice. Incidentally, I kinda like his voice too. Ah well. As I pull into the outskirts of the massive metropolis, into the belly of the beast that intimidates so on the map, the text turns to focus on Mother Abigail, an ancient, but determined, simple, and faith-driven woman who constantly drops wisdom I can draw strength from. Her faith in God inspires and informs mine.
And though my Car is getting as flimsy and error prone as the 108 year old womans body, I made the journey. Though I had no internet, some basic directions pulled up on my computer with its dying battery, and my phone dying slowly as well, I not only find my intended hostel, but when they denied me admittance until the morning, I found a motel nearby. 3 times the price of the hostel, but a good place to crash until tomorrow’s Disney audition.
God took care of me tonight. I felt his simple, kind care in the providence that surrounds me, the calm quiet neighborhood I have landed in. That an extended, lonely journey to the land of Crips and Bloods has started on a high note, and will end with success, even if it is only to return home with knowledge and experience, and renewed conviction.
Sadly the motel doesn’t seem to have anything worth watching. Just Chinese channels and Evangelicals. Ah well. Goodnight neverland!

No comments:
Post a Comment